Friday, July 13, 2007

Last Day of my Trip


The last 28 days have been unbelievable. From Athens to Damascus I travelled by land and sea, and I have come a long way. The things I have seen are unforgettable.

I will always remember…


how I was the only one in the ruins of Palmyra, and how the 3000 year old towers cast such long shadows in the Valley of the Tombs,

and how I arm wrestled a Turk named Husayn at a bus stop… who later on the night bus to Istanbul, explained the meaning of Islam to me in Turkish but somehow I could understand every word of what he was saying,

and how when walking down the dangerous Acropolis path high up in Bergama, the call to prayer sounded out and I could hear it sound from as far as I could see in a unison of voices…

and of course I’ll remember how stupid I was in Instabul…hahaha

and I’ll remember how when the 2nd rocket goes off at 8am in Pamplona, there is a wave of fantastic energy that runs through the crowd that cannot be explained… it can only be felt and recalled by those who ran

and I’ll remember how shitty it was to sleep in a park in 15 degree temperature

and how good those fish sandwiches along the Galata bridge in Istanbul were

and how I taught those Iraqis in Aleppo how to say “Deew” in Cantonese. And how those other Iraqis scared the shit outta me in Aleppo

and how crossing the street in Syria is an extreme sport

and how Genghis and this little brother from the water pipe shop drew me pictures of their home, and how I taught them my disappearing card trick…


…my internet time is running out, but these are some of the things I will remember and I hope I will never forget.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nicely stated. sounds like you had the trip of a lifetime.

come back safely!

Unknown said...

aww! that's beautiful..